Throughout the year, our blog will feature AHA volunteer stories of survival and hope. We know there are thousands of stories like these - thats why we want to say “Thanks” to all of you for giving your time and sharing your lives with us. You can’t spell CURE without U! Thank you for all you do to build healthier lives free of cardiovascular disease and stroke. YOU’RE THE CURE!

Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Week 1 as an AHA Intern

Editor’s Note: We’re pleased to welcome Rebecca Portman to our team! She is a student at Northwestern University who started her internship with us at the beginning of the year. Her responsibilities include contributing weekly to this blog, beginning today with her introduction below. Welcome aboard Becca! We hope this will be a very positive and productive experience for you!


Greetings from the American Heart Association’s Chicago office! My name is Becca Portman, and I am interning with the AHA’s Midwest Affiliate in Illinois for the next ten weeks. To share a little bit about myself, I am currently a junior at Northwestern University majoring in Social Policy. At NU, I have been involved in various civic activities ranging from voter registration to labor organizing to direct political campaign work. On a personal level, I have developed a passion for health and wellness, and I hope to find a career that combines those two interests in some form.


I will be working (almost) full-time at the AHA this quarter in order to fulfill my school’s Practicum requirement, getting hands-on experience with real-world policy issues. I will graduate from college in December of this year, and I frequently get questions about what I want to do when I enter the “real world.” Much to my parents’ chagrin, at this point, I still don’t have a clear answer! That’s why I feel extremely lucky to have found a position here at the AHA. During my stay here, I will be splitting my time between the Advocacy, Quality Initiatives, and Health Equity departments. I have the opportunity to get an inside look at the workings of the AHA, learn about the various arms of a large, non-profit health organization, and understand on an intimate level how they function as one. I am excited to try my hand at lobbying, coalition-building, event planning, and much more. In the past three days I was able to learn and present a PowerPoint slideshow about cardiovascular health for community groups, attend a videoconference about Health Strategies with the leaders of the Midwest Affiliate, meet with some incredible women from the National Association of Health Services Executives, and have lunch at the Berghoff Café (a Chicago institution, I’m told) for the first time. What a week!


Over the next ten weeks, I can expect to learn a ton--both about AHA and about myself. I’m sure there will be some things that I am good at, and plenty of things that I am not, some things that I enjoy, and some that I could certainly do without. I will write here every week to share my experiences and musings on life as an intern, and bring fresh eyes to the many health issues faced by AHA staff members on a daily basis. If I do my job right, I will provide some valuable work and help AHA accomplish its mission while getting a better idea of what I want to do with my life. Stay tuned to see how things go!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Welcome to the AHA, Becca! We are glad for your help! CIS

Mickey Clancy said...

Hi Becca,

Welcome to the AHA! It was great to meet you yesterday and thank you for coming to the SSEEO Board meeting. What you learn over the next ten weeks will be invaluable. Working with Mark and Alex will be at a furious pace, but it will be an amazing run. They are both so awesome at what they do! Enjoy the ride!! And WELCOME!

RoseJ said...

Welcome Becca, fresh eyes & thoughts are always welcome! Please feel free to "pick" this volunteers brain anytime. Hopefully we'll meet soon.

RoseJ said...

Hi Becca always glad to have new eyes & ears. Please feel free to pick this volunteers brain any time. Welcome to AHA! It's a great organization!